May 7, 2023

Steven Stayner // 162 // Kidnapping // Part 3

Steven Stayner // 162 // Kidnapping // Part 3
Apple Podcasts podcast player badge
Spotify podcast player badge
Google Podcasts podcast player badge
Overcast podcast player badge
Castro podcast player badge
Stitcher podcast player badge
iHeartRadio podcast player badge
PocketCasts podcast player badge
Castbox podcast player badge
Podchaser podcast player badge
TuneIn podcast player badge
Deezer podcast player badge
Pandora podcast player badge
Podcast Addict podcast player badge
RSS Feed podcast player badge

7-year-old Steven Gregory Stayner was kidnapped on December 4th, 1972 in Merced, California, by Kenneth Parnell.  He was able to escape when he was 14 years old and he saved another kidnapping victim, Timothy White.




RECAP: Ken Parnell and his friend Murph kidnapped Steven Stayner.  Ken was easily able to move Steven from school to school, completely undetected and he was not forced to provide a birth certificate or early school records for him.  He dated a woman named Barbara and the two of them were sexually assaulting Steven, then Ken tried to sexually assault one of her children as well.  The relationship between Barbara and Ken was coming to an end because she found someone else named John Allen that she was falling for.  At the end of part 2, Steven had finally confessed to a friend that he was being sexually molested, but he said he couldn’t turn Ken in because that’s his dad.  Ken had been taking care of Steven for several years at this point and he manipulated him into believing that the court awarded him custody because his parents didn’t want him anymore. 



In the spring of 1978, things fizzled out with John Allen and Barbara, so she loaded up her kids and ended up back at Ken’s. So, what she didn’t know, was that she was hand delivering her children to a predator. Ken again targeted young Kenny and put his hand down his pants and Kenny was able to get away, but unfortunately, Ken grabbed his younger brother Lloyd and locked the bedroom door and sexually assaulted him. When Barbara returned home, Kenny told her what happened and she called the sherriff and he didn’t believe her. She did move out and did not have any further contact with Ken.  


This didn’t stop Ken from pursuing other children. Steven tried to make sure that none of his friends were left alone with Ken, but hKen was still using his same sneaky tactics. Just as he had done before, he called up Steven’s friend Jeff Norton and arranged to pick him up from school for a sleepover, but Steven didn’t know about this, and he was riding the school bus home. Ken offered to give the 12-year-old some money for the upcoming fair if he let him sexually assault him, but Jeff refused this. Once Steven got home, Ken threw the boys a party and gave them beer. After he got them drunk, he took nude photos of the boys. 


Here’s another instance where the ball got dropped and this whole story could have gotten blown up if someone followed up on it. When Steven was in 7th grade, his teacher, Gerald Butler, had them read an extensive article in Junior Scholastic about missing children. The class read it together and had a discussion. After the bell rang and the kids went outside for recess, Steven’s friend Damon stayed behind and told the teacher that Steven claims he was taken away when he was really young because his parents didn’t want him anymore. Steven was standing back a little way and he seemed frightened. The teacher asked if he ever got to see his parents and he said no. 


After this conversation, he went to the teacher’s lounge and another staff member said they heard the same thing about Steven. Two teachers had heard a strange story about their student and no one followed up on it. However, both Damon and Steven later stated that this never happened, but Gerald’s peers say that he is a very honest man and at least one other teacher confirmed that they heard the story in the teacher’s lounge.    



Steven did have another friend named George that was also been sexually assaulted by Ken. He picked George up from school and, as usual, sent Steven home on the bus so they had time alone together. George asked Ken if he would stop and buy him some cigarettes and he said yes, if they could have a little fun later on. George didn’t know what this meant, but assumed they would be playing some games or something, so he agreed. When Steven got home, Ken got the two kids drunk and had them take their clothes off. George insists that he went into the room with Ken, and he was holding an open jar of Vaseline, but he says nothing happened, but when he went home, he told his mother he was raped. Joann Mitchell made a police report and said she was positive her son had been raped. It became common knowledge around town that Ken had sodomized George, but no one did anything about it. 


Comptche (Comp-chee) was a small town, but apparently, it was full of literal monsters. In Steven’s school, there were several cases of children being sexually abused by their parents. Everyone lived by a code where they minded their own business. 


In 1978, when Steven was 13, he went to a party with an older group of kids, and they were drinking and smoking pot. One of the teenagers recalls that he started crying and saying he wanted to go home, but nobody knew what he was talking about, and he never elaborated. As he got older, Ken became less interested in him, he liked younger children. He started using Steven to lure the boys in. He would pick one out and have Steven call them up and invite them over. In July of 1979, the Ukiah Daily Journal ran a story about the discovery of the bodies of a young teenage boy and girl in shallow graves in the forest about 10 miles from Comptche. Ken immediately decided they were moving, and this was most likely because he didn’t want the police to be milling around. They headed to a cabin that was about 50 miles away. 


There were no neighbors. They were going to be the only people living on the ranch with 4,400 acres of hilltop pasture, woodlands, and valleys. This was truly devastating for Steven. He finally had friends at his old home and now he was in complete isolation with Ken. There were hardly any vehicles that even passed the house. Ken did find a job as a desk clerk for The Palace Hotel. It required a long commute, an hour each way and the roads were all twisting and only 4 of the 40 miles were on straight pavement.   


Steven was not happy about the idea of attending a new school. He had been at Mendocino City Schools for three years. He convinced Ken to allow him to continue going there for the ninth grade. Ken would rush home early each morning to take him part way to school. He dropped him off in Mendocino City and Steven would hitchhike the rest of the way. Steven was able to try out for the football team and he got starting position. Once football season ended, Ken refused to drive him part way to school any longer. Steven was forced to transfer to Point Arena High School in mid-November. Since the Point Arena school bus ended its route at the power lines which was nine miles down the road, Steven was absent from school more than twenty days. He didn’t make the basketball team because he was unreliable when it came to transportation. 


According to former Mendocino County D.A. Joe Allen and his Chief Deputy D.A. George McClure, there was a big reason why Ken moved to that ranch. Ken had been hired by Duke Stornetta to guard the brothers’ hidden commercial plots of marijuana which they grew in secluded areas of the Mountain View Ranch. During the 1970s and 1980s some members of the Stornetta family were known to be cultivating cannabis and the resident deputy sheriff had an income many times greater than could be accounted for by his salary, although his usual public explanation was that he had been a very shrewd real estate investor. 


The officers said that in Mendocino County in those days old timers and newcomers who grew pot were arrested, except for the old timers who grew it in the area under the jurisdiction of that particular deputy. The Stornetta brothers, their cousin Henry (Stogie) Stornetta tried to hire someone to kill his wife. Stogie’s plot was discovered, and this led to an investigation where the same deputy sheriff opened his safe under a court order and he reported that there were no drugs or anything unusual, but he did find 50 to 250 thousand dollars in fifties and hundreds. Stogie was tried and convicted and served time in prison. 


So, Ken was hired to watch the land, but he had his own ideas. He started selling the marijuana that he was guarding and he used kids to do it. He was paying kids to sell it for him and he was also offering more money if they brought back a younger kid to be his son. When the New Year began, Ken officially ended the sex acts with Steven and increased his efforts to kidnap a younger child and potentially get rid of Steven forever. By early 1980, Ken still didn’t have a younger son like he wanted and he was getting desperate. He found a five-year-old boy named Timmy White and he started following him around and making plans to kidnap him. Ken took both Steven and another boy named Sean to Ukiah several times so they could watch this young boy.  


He started grooming Sean to be his partner in crime. He told him how useless Steven had become to him and he would give him marijuana when they hung out. He took Sean to a hotel one night and on Valentine’s Day morning, they went to a McDonald’s and Ken told the teen exactly what he was going to do in this kidnapping. They headed out about 8:30 AM to search for Timmy White, but they couldn’t find him, so they went to some garage sales and Salvation Army while they waited. They also went to The Thrifty Drug store so Ken could buy a bottle of Nytol sleeping pills. When it was a little past 11, they drove back to Yokayo Elementary. The kindergartners were released at 11:30 and that’s when they spotted Timmy, walking with another classmate.  


Ken stopped the car and Sean got out to pretend he was checking the right rear tire. His job was to ask Timmy for help, grab him, get in the backseat with him, and close the door quickly so Ken could speed off. Sean turned to Timmy and ask him to hold the tire’s valve stem to keep it from leaking air and Timmy was smart, he said no and walked away. Sean was scared to go after the child and things weren’t going as planned, so he hopped back in the car. Ken lost his cool and screamed at him to get Timmy, so he started running after him, but Timmy started running too.  


Sean caught up to him, wrapped his arms around the young boy and tossed him into the car, kicking and screaming. Ken immediately told Timmy that his mother was sick, and Sean told him that they were going to the dentist. So.....Timmy was confused obviously...and very afraid. Sean gave him the sleeping pill and some fruit punch and both boys laid down so they couldn’t be seen in the windows. Sean was paid with two bottles of Jack Daniels for his role in the kidnapping and he flagged down a friend for a ride and didn’t mention a word about what happened.  


Later that afternoon, Ken picked up Steven from the bus stop and that’s when he saw Timmy in the back of the car and they silently drove back to the cabin. Around this time, Timmy’s mother Angela, had filed a report when her son didn’t show up at the babysitter’s house and the police were out looking for him.  


Timmy lived with his mother, Angela, and her second husband, Jim White and Timmy had an older sister, Nicole. Jim had adopted both children when they got married the previous year and they lived 7 miles south of Ukiah on Blue Oak Drive. Angela had just started working at the Mendocino County Board of Realtors and Timmy started kindergarten at Yokayo and his sister was in first grade at the school across the street. The family decided to go with a small private day care center for their children run by Diane Crawford in her home, just a few blocks from the kids’ schools. Angela dropped her son off at school on Valentine’s Day morning and at 11:50 AM, Diane Crawford called her at work. Angela was on a long-distance call, so she asked another coworker to say she would call her back shortly. A few minutes later, she was still on the call, so she wrote a note to her coworker and asked him to call Diane back. After he hung up, he said, Timmy’s not home, I’ll go look for him. 


Angela wasn’t that concerned initially. It was Valentine’s Day and she figured Timmy stayed late at school for their class party. Timmy got out of school at 11:30 and suddenly, she realized it was noon. That didn’t make sense, something was wrong. She locked up the office and headed out to look for her son. She stopped at the school and the principal said the class got out on time, the party did not go late. After hearing this, Angela contacted the police. The weather was bad and it was raining, just like it had on the day Steven was kidnapped years earlier.    


Two days after Timmy’s disappearance, tracking dogs were brought in from Sacramento to scour the 10 square block neighborhood between Yokayo Elementary and the babysitter’s home, but they weren’t able to pick up a scent because it had rained for three days prior to that. Smith Air Service provided a helicopter for Ukiah policemen searching the remote hils west of town, but the rain ended up washing the grease from the rotor’s bearings and the flights got cut short. 


On the first night of Timmy’s kidnapping, Ken forced him to sleep in the same bed with him and Timmy recalls feeling very strange about this. Prior to the kidnapping, he had tried to hire a babysitter in Ukiah, but everyone turned him down because of the distance to the cabin. This meant that he had no choice, but to leave Timmy alone in the cabin for awhile each day. Steven would go to school and Ken worked the graveyeard shift at The Palace Hotel. Steven didn’t like it, but he was instructed to give Timmy a Nytol sleeping tablet before he left for school, but Timmy says he rarely slept after Steven left for school, he just sat there, alone. He did see a phone and considered calling for help, but he was too scared of what Ken would do to him. Timmy didn’t know this, but Ken actually kept a dial lock on the phone, so he couldn’t have used it anyways.  


Many people saw Timmy with Ken together and he would play outside the home. Ken dyed Timmy’s hair from platinum blond to dark brown. He felt so confident about this new disguise that he announced that he was taking the boys out to eat at Pirates Cove. A friend of Steven’s remembers this incident. Marsha Beall said, “My cousins own the Pirates Cove and one of them, Darla Reynolds, said that when they came in, she looked at the little boy and she thought, ‘Wow! He really resembles that little boy in the newspaper. But you know how you think of something and then you take a second look and go, ‘Oh, but I don’t want to get involved.” 


A few days after the Pirates Cove dinner, Kim Peace saw Steven and Timmy sitting in Ken’s car in the parking lot at the Manchester General Store. That evening, she saw Timmy’s picture in the newspaper and she kept thinking, where had she seen that little kid before? She finally realized that she saw him in Ken’s car. I’m not sure if she contacted the police about this, but I’m guessing not because it wasn’t mentioned in the book. 


Steven does mention that he initially felt a bit of jealousy towards Timmy when he first arrived. He didn’t want to continue being abused by Ken, but at the same time, that was his “father” for the last several years and he didn’t want to be replaced. He did start to feel very protective over Timmy and worried that Ken would sexually assault him, so he started returning from Point Arena High School at noon each day. He also began carrying his Bowie knife inside his boot, just in case he saw Ken harming Timmy. It only took a few short days for the two boys to become very close. Steven confided in Timmy and told him that he had also been kidnapped. Timmy asked him to take him home and Steven agreed to this, but he had to put a plan in place first. 


On February 28th, Steven called up a friend named Damon and invited him over for the weekend, but he declined because he knew Timmy White was there and he didn’t want to get in trouble. Ken had used a teenager named Sean to help with the kidnapping, well, now this kid was talking and other kids knew that Timmy was there, but somehow this wasn’t getting to the police. Damon thought about things and called Steven back to tell him that there was a $15k reward for Timmy’s safe return and he told him to go to the police and claim the money. Steven wasn’t after the money, but he was planning to get Timmy home safely. 


Here’s what he didn’t know though. Ken was planning to kill Steven and he was getting help from another teenager, who was an acquaintance of Steven. This teenager was going to bury his body in a grave that he and his accomplice had already dug along the upper, uninhabited reaches of the Garcia River. Once the job was done, Ken and Timmy would move to Arkansas. This plan was supposed to happen right after Timmy was kidnapped, but the winter rains made it impossible to access this particular area and the plan got delayed. 


Even though Timmy was at the cabin now, Ken still felt relaxed enough to stop for a beer at the Samoa Club every morning after work. He would sit there and talk about Timmy White’s disappearance and he would offer up theories on what could have happened. Once he got home, he would sleep from late afternoon until 9 at night. He had been working the graveyard shift at The Palace Hotel in Ukiah for 7 months and he was going to start his new position as the hotel’s security guard, meaning he would need to leave earlier than usual to make sure he was there on time. 


As he left for work, Steven made breakfast for him and Timmy, they bundled up, Steven grabbed a knife to hide in his boot, and they headed out. Steven was filled with fear. What would happen if Ken caught them trying to escape? What if he suddenly returned home? It didn’t matter. He had made up his mind, he was getting Timmy back to his family. They had attempted to hitchhike before, but Timmy always whined and complained about being cold, wet, and hungry. This is the first time he saw headlights on the pavement, coming towards them. He got the courage to stick his thumb up and the car stopped.  


Steven climbed into the front seat and pulled Timmy on his lap. The man that picked them up spoke Spanish and knew very little English, but he was able to tell them that a friend was having car trouble and he was on his way to Ukiah, which is exactly where the boys needed to go. Steven told the driver that they were on their way to their new home in Ukiah. The man did stop to help a friend with their vehicle, then they continued on their journey. 


Steven later said, “We got over the last hill going into Ukiah, and it really scared me, because I was trying to think about what I would do when we got there. I thought, ‘It’s me against the world. I’m alone now. There’s no one to turn to and no one to help me make the decisions.’ The main objective and most important thing was to get Timmy home safe and sound. I just didn’t think about doing anything else then. I knew that I’d be on the run then, but I didn’t want to even think about it.” 


“The only person I had to talk to was Timmy, and I didn’t want to do that in front of this guy. I didn’t know for sure how much English he could understand or nothin’. But then we started up South State Street into Ukiah, and Timmy turns his head and whispers to me that we’re near his babysitter’s and that’s where he wanted to go. So I told the guy to let us out by The Bottle Shoppe. Then Timmy and me walked over to where he said his babysitter lived, but nobody was home.”  


Since the babysitter wasn’t home, the boys headed south, trying to get to Timmy’s home, but they got lost and turned north to get to a phone booth, where they looked up the address for the Ukiah Police Station. They passed the babysitter’s home a second time, but she still wasn’t home, so they continued to the police station. They passed along the southeast corner of The Palace Hotel where Ken was working. 


This is pretty much where we started our story in the very beginning. They got to the police station and Steven told Timmy to go inside the station and tell them his name so they could gety him home safely. Veteran Patrol Officer Bob Warner was standing inside, near the door, shortly after 11 and he said, “I was getting ready to leave the station when I noticed a small boy come to the front door, push the door open, and then look back out toward the street, and turn around and run back out. He just started to come inside the door, and then he turned and went back out. Of course, being that time of night and seeing a small boy doing such things, I got a litte curious as to what was going on; so I went out the front and I saw this young boy running across the parking lot. I noticed another, older boy walking westbound on Standley, just approaching Main Street. I was afraid that if I just took off running that the older boy would also run and we might not get either one.” 


“So I called for another unit using my portable radio. Fortunately, there was another unit coming down Main. It was Russell VanVoorhis, and he stopped them right in front of the Salvation Army Store. As soon as he said he had them, I got into my patrol car and went up to the location. When I got there, VanVoorhis was holding the little boy in his arms and he says to me, ‘Would you believe it? This is Timmy White!’ And I found it hard to believe, because Timmy had his hair dyed dark brown. So VanVoorhis was basically talking to Timmy, and I started talking to this older boy. I asked him if he was with Timmy, and he says he was. I asked him his named and he told me it was Steven Staner, and then VanVoorhis says, ‘He says he’s been missing from Merced for seven years.” 


The officers brought the boys to the station and Timmy White’s mother, Angela was called and she said she was on her way. She went running into the station, took one look at Timmy who had dark brown hair, not platinum blonde and she said that's not him and she fainted. Once the officers got Angela up, she took another look and realized that was her Timmy.  


Meanwhile, Steven was brought into an interrogation room, but he had very conflicting emotions. The officers wanted him to give a description of Ken and tell them where he was, but he felt like he was betraying him. He later recalled that, “I just felt gratitude toward him for taking care of me. You know, he took care of me for seven years, so what am I going to do? Return the favor by turning him in?”  


Chief Johnson explained that, “He wasn’t going to tell us who his dad was until we promised that if the man was sick, we would see that he got some help. Then, finally, he told us what his dad’s name was and where he was working. But that took a lot of talking on our part.” 


Ken was working his first shift as a security guard that night, so officers were sent over to get him. When they entered the lobby, they asked the desk clerk if Kenneth Parnell worked there and at that moment, he walked around the corner and the desk clerk says, here he is now! 


Once they brought him to the station, Steven says that one of the officers bullied him into identifying Ken. They brought him in a room and made him look in a window and confirm it was him. Timmy had his whole family with him during this ordeal, but Steven’s family hadn’t been contacted yet. He was alone and scared. What if he got in trouble for Timmy’s kidnapping? What if Ken told them that he was involved somehow? When he was first kidnapped, his father, Del, had just suffered a slipped disk, but Steven thought it was a heart attack, so he didn’t know if his real father was even alive anymore. The officers had called Merced Police and they were heading to the station to pick up Steven to take him home and his first question was, “Is my dad still alive?” 


Del was alive. The police Sergeant in Merced was Mark Dossetti and he called the Stayners to tell them he had news about their son and would be at their door soon. Unfortunately, they thought something bad happened to their other son for a few minutes. Cary was on a camping trip in Yosemite National Park with some friends, but they were blown away to hear that Steven was alive. 


Just before 4 AM, Ukiah Police Detective John Williams asked Steven to provide a statement in his own words. “My name is Steven Stayner. I am fourteen years of age. I don’t know my true birth date, but I use April 18th, 1968. I know my first name is Steven, I’m pretty sure my last name is Stainer, and if I have a middle name, I don’t know it.” 


At 4:30 AM, Sunday, March 2nd, 1980, the story of Steven and Timmy’s safe return was sent to the Associated Press Office in San Francisco. Initially, Steven tried to cover for Ken when he provided his statements. He said that he had been spoiled, Ken took care of him, and he never did anything sexual to him. Weeks later, the truth finally came out about all of the sexual abuse on Steven, but Ken had never done anything to Timmy. 


When officers were sent to the cabin, they said that the road leading up to it was crooked and there were mudslides. The weather was extremely bad, and it was very cloudy, rainy, cold, and dark. It was described as no-man's land. None of the doors were locked on the cabin and it was freezing cold inside, like a dungeon. There were dirty clothes everywhere, food had been left out, and there were dirty dishes. They had an outdoor toilet and everything inside the cabin was dirty and had a stench. The officers said that Steven smelled pretty bad when he arrived at the station, you could tell he didn’t bathe often. They brought Steven with to the cabin and he was able to rescue his dog, Queenie. He was rushed to a news conference where he clutched his dog and said, “I got to like Timmy. I knew what Parnell was doing was wrong. I just gave him a whole life ahead of him with his parents.” 


Timmy had been missing for 16 days and he said Steven became his friend and he would read him comic books during their long days in the tiny cabin. Timmy told the police that Ken told him that he knew his mother, Angela and she said it was ok for Timmy to live with him. Officers brought Angela into the booking room window so she could look at Ken and she confirmed she had no idea who he was. Timmy said, “He told me that you knew him, and you didn’t! I didn’t know big people lie!” 


Before leaving the station, Angela went into the room where Steven was, she kissed his cheek and thanked him for bringing her son home safe. Timmy was later examined by a doctor at the local hospital, and it was confirmed, there were no signs of physical or sexual abuse. Steven got him out of there in time. When they got home at 3 AM, Angela asked Timmy what he wanted to do and he said, eat spaghetti and take a bath. He wanted to throw away the clothes he was wearing because Ken put them on him, and he didn’t want anything left that would remind him of Ken. They attempted to wash the dye from his hair, but they couldn’t, and it took a few months before it turned a reddish color and the blonde started to grow out. 


The family was so excited to have Timmy back that they stayed up all night drinking hot chocolate and playing Old Maid. One of the first people to call them was Timmy’s babysistter, Diane Crawford. She had been out for dinner with her husband when the boys arrived at her home the night before. 


At Steven’s home, they learned at three AM that he was alive and he didn’t get home until 7 that night. The family made banners that said Welcome Home Steve as they waited for him to arrive. The police had to counsel Steven’s parents Del and Kay before bringing him there. Kulbeth said, “In his parents’ minds, he was this little child coming home, so I told them, ‘Your son is a very grown-up young man, and he is somewhat independent. He’s a fourteen-year-old near-adult, and you’ll just have to recognize that.’”    


It was hard for them to come to terms with that though. Their child was grown up and they missed out on it. That was stolen from them. Steven’s younger sister Jody said, “I remembered when my Grandpa Tal died while Steven was gone. I prayed that God would take good care of him and if Steve was up there, take good care of him too. And I remembered those puff balls that are like flowers...that when you blow on them they go everwhere? Well, we used to blow them and make a wish that Steve would come back home. You know, you’d blow them and then clap your hands and make a wish? We’d always do that. But now Steve was really coming home.” 



The family had never moved because they wanted Steven to be able to find them if he ever came home. The day before his kidnapping, he signed his name on the side of the garage and they cherished that and refused to paint over it. It was dark when Jerry Price turned the police car onto Bette and hundreds of people were crowding the street, waiting for Steven to come home. On March 2nd, 1980, just after 7 PM, Steven and his dog Queenie got out of the police car. He had been missing for 2,645 days. He recognized his parents, but had to be introduced to his siblings. 


On his first night home, he chose to sleep on a pallet on the living room floor and his brother Cary slept next to him. Cary said he couldn’t sleep, he just stayed up and watched over Steven because he couldn’t believe he was finally home. For so many nights, he had sat outside, wishing on stars for his brother to return, so this time, he went outside and thanked a star instead.  


We touched on this at the beginning of the story. When Steven was kidnapped, there were two men involved. When the police interviewed him, they knew there was a second man, but Steven didn’t want to provide the information to them and it took several hours before he finally said the second kidnapper was Murphy. He remembered that he wore glasses and he worked in Yosemite. They called up to Yosemite National Park’s Chief Law Enforcement Ranger and he said there were two Murphys that worked there in 1972. The photos were shown to Steven and without hesitation, he picked out Ervin Edward Murphy, who went by the name Murph.  


Rangers waited at the Yosemite Lodge for Murph to arrive for his 10 PM shift and he was arrested. He explained that he was expecting this, and he said, “At five o’clock Tuesday morning I left my cabin and went over to the lodge and got a newspaper and read it myself. And the paper said that they were looking for an accomplice, so more or less, I knew that they were looking for me. So, I went on to work that night and I’m just starting to work when they came in and picked me up and I told them all about it. It was a relief to know where the kid was and that he was alive and not hurt or anything. He could have been dead! And I finally got it off my chest that I knew Parnell had kidnapped the kid, but at the same time I hadn’t wanted to get myself involved.” 


He said that he did actually try to tell the police one time, but he got scared. He called the Merced police department and the phone just rang and rang. A lady answered and he got scared and hung up and ended up getting drunk instead. The next day, on March 5th, Murph was arraigned in Merced County Court for conspiracy in the kidnapping of Steven Stayner and bail was set at $50k, which is interesting because Ken Parnell’s bail was only $20k. The Curry Company offered to provide Murph with private defense counsel, but he declined this offer. 



I Know My First Name Is Steven - Kindle edition by Echols, Mike. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ 

Where Is Kenneth Parnell, Who Kidnapped Steven Stayner, Now?  | True Crime Buzz ( 

Kenneth Parnell - Wikipedia 

What Happened to Timmy White After His 1980 Abduction? ( 

Timothy White (abduction victim) - Wikipedia 

“Steven Stayner Missing Children’s Memorial” - Paula Slater, M.A. 

Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story EP 1 & 2 on HULU